Sending you love and support. I keep telling people that one of the advantages of of weirdly long transition period is that we have time to get ourselves sorted before we really have to be ready to act. Anything we can do now is just gravy.
I really like the idea of writing to Mike Pence. I was planning to write Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell, but I think Pence is a good person to right, too. I want to remind them what their Christian faith says and ask them to act on it. I want to remind them what the Constitution says and ask them to take their vow to protect it seriously.
But yeah, I'm really effing scared, too, and I can always retreat into my cultural Christianity (I am not an active believer, but my heritage is Christian and I could easily perform believing if needed).
I have found Washington Post and Mother Jones to be fairly solid this election. The folks at Vox have good analyses and have owned up to underestimating the likelihood of this outcome. Jamelle Bouie at Slate is awesome. That's all I have.
All good thoughts to you. Over a week later, most of my thoughts are still about jackboots, and whether it's ethical to immigrate now if I am realistically not #1 on the list. But I am not excited to live anywhere else, I want to live in Hillary's America, and that's no longer available. I will also write to Mike Pence--great idea. And we didn't give our kids Hebrew first names, but our last name is two very Jewish names hyphenated--I don't think their English first names are going to help them. I liked the bit about death by a thousand think pieces--it's hard for me to stop reading them all, but what I really need to be doing is calling congresspeople. Ah well. Thank you for writing this.
Sending you love and support. I keep telling people that one of the advantages of of weirdly long transition period is that we have time to get ourselves sorted before we really have to be ready to act. Anything we can do now is just gravy.
ReplyDeleteI really like the idea of writing to Mike Pence. I was planning to write Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell, but I think Pence is a good person to right, too. I want to remind them what their Christian faith says and ask them to act on it. I want to remind them what the Constitution says and ask them to take their vow to protect it seriously.
But yeah, I'm really effing scared, too, and I can always retreat into my cultural Christianity (I am not an active believer, but my heritage is Christian and I could easily perform believing if needed).
I have found Washington Post and Mother Jones to be fairly solid this election. The folks at Vox have good analyses and have owned up to underestimating the likelihood of this outcome. Jamelle Bouie at Slate is awesome. That's all I have.
All good thoughts to you. Over a week later, most of my thoughts are still about jackboots, and whether it's ethical to immigrate now if I am realistically not #1 on the list. But I am not excited to live anywhere else, I want to live in Hillary's America, and that's no longer available. I will also write to Mike Pence--great idea. And we didn't give our kids Hebrew first names, but our last name is two very Jewish names hyphenated--I don't think their English first names are going to help them. I liked the bit about death by a thousand think pieces--it's hard for me to stop reading them all, but what I really need to be doing is calling congresspeople. Ah well. Thank you for writing this.
ReplyDelete