Much of life on labor and delivery revolves around The Board. This is a big white board with all the patient rooms on it, and rows for their name, their gestational age, and other important info, like how dilated they are. The last row is for "Comments", which means it gets filled up with everything: epidural, magnesium, history of chronic hypertension, etc. The Board serves as a communal brain for the L&D team - attendings, residents, nurses, everyone.
It's rather universal (or it has been at the hospitals I've worked at) that when you put a "to do" on The Board, you put a little empty box, like this:
[] start penicillin.
Then, once you've done it, you put an X in the box, like this:
[x] start penicillin.
That way, everyone knows that this patient a) needed something and b) it was taken care of. The x'd boxes are, of course, the best, because they're done.
So that being said, much time on L&D is spent adding little boxes to The Board, or staring at little boxes on The Board, or just kind of loitering near The Board while thinking about the little boxes .
And when I was doing those things last night, I saw this:
And it made my night.*
*Partly because it was funny, and partly because it was DONE. We are efficient even in our humor!
I love that someone made the box. Too funny. (And I bet it was even funnier late at night w/no sleep.)
ReplyDelete